Author: wstein, published on 2015-03-27
The IKEA SAMLA Boxes (22 l / 6 gallon) is the ideal storage solution for my needs. The profiled wall design makes it very stable. It can hold up to 5x 750g standard spools and I can put Silica gel inside. The IKEA SAMLA boxes should be available in many countries in the world.
By mounting an installations tube in the box, I can feed the filament direct from the box to my printer. That’s very convenient!
It is fast and easy to print. It is very easy to assemble. A drilling jig is also included.
The STL files are for M4 screw and nuts, but as it is customizable you can configure it also for inch parts, other tube/pipe or boxes.
Rafts: Doesn’t Matter
Resolution: 0.3mm layer
Parts list for each box:
- IKEA SAMLA Boxe with Lid (22 l / 6 gallon) 798.508.75
- 32mm installation tube/pipe (1.25 inch should also fit)
- 2x printed socket
- 6x M4x8 bolt (M4x10mm can also be used)
- 6x M4 nuts
- 6x M4 washers
Tools you need:
- electric drill
- 4mm drill
- a pipe cutter or a miter box with saw
- screw driver
- print two sockets for each box
- print one drilling jig
- use the drilling jig to drill the three holes on each side of the box
- mount the sockets as you see on the images
- cut the installation tube/pipe at 315mm (12.4inch)
Put the spools on the tube and put it onto the sockets. Now push the side wall a little bit apart and the tube will snap into the sockets.
I recommend also this things:
- Spacer to hold the spools apart (I’m using simple_spacer_32x5.stl and simple_spacer_32x10.stl )
- the Spool Adapter for perfect fitting of different spools
- a Filament Clip
For sealing your boxes:
You may find this things useful to control humidity:
- the SAMLA Lid Clips
- the Airtight Filament delivery system, Angled Dry Box Feeder or 1.75mm Filament Feeder for Dry Box
Version 2.0: The customizer calculates the correct tube length, now. So it should be easier to create for different boxes.
Version 2.0.1: fix for latest customizer version
Tags: customizer, easy, filament, FilamentChallenge, filament_holder, filament_spool_holder, holder, ikea, IKEA_Hack, openscad, organization, SAMLA, spool_holder, useful