Author: pittance, published on 2014-11-16
Glider with a futuristic-looking outline, prints in one step
Print with 100% fill, I used PLA with 0.2mm first layer, 0.1mm layers for the rest.
You’ll probably need to bend up the tail a little to get it trimmed and bend up the wings to get some dihedral (for roll stability) – see the photos for what I mean, try to keep it symmetrical!
It’s quite hard to throw; I find the best way is to hold either side of the fuselage forward of the wing root – try not to twist when you throw!
There are now two versions of the STL, one with a 0.4mm thick fin and one with 0.8mm thickness – see edit 2 for details. If your slicer program doesn’t like the single-pass fin at 0.4mm try 0.8 or re-generate the STL from the scad file with whatever thickness you want to try.
The whole model is formed from extruded DXFs in OpenSCAD so you can alter them in Inkscape if you want (SVG sources provided – but OpenSCAD won’t work with curves in DXFs so convert to lines with ‘Extensions > Modify Path > Flatten Beziers’ first then re-export to DXF)
edit The fin is a single-wall part which went a bit funny when I recently printed it on a RepRap with a big print fan blowing on it, it seemed to blow the printing layer off the previous one – it doesn’t seem to be a problem for all printers (fine on my mini kossel and on one of the prints here) but I’ll see if I can find a way to make a version that might be better. I also added in a missing DXF file.
edit 2 The fin seems to be causing problems on some printers/slicers, I haven’t got easy access to anything except Slic3r/mini kossel to test on at the moment (& this is fine with the thin fin) so I’ve uploaded a couple of new STLs, one with a 0.4mm fin thickness and one with 0.8mm to see if that helps. I’ve also changed the .scad file to allow the fin thickness to be changed more easily if you want to.
edit 3 Changed the *.scad file to use the layers in the DXF file (always there just didn’t realise OpenScad could use them) and included the SVG source. As suggested by dgatza I also edited the DXF to round out the back of the nose for strength as a couple of people have found it broke on a heavy landing.